Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

I've made homemade tortillas before, but I've been wanting to try a new recipe.  I came across this one on my faithful AllRecipes.com, and I was excited to try it.  I try to make the majority of my homemade baked goods with at least part whole wheat flour, and this recipe is 4/5 whole wheat.  That is a high percentage, but most of the reviews looked really positive.

I was out of shortening, so I used olive oil, as some of the commenters suggested.  The dough was quite dry; I didn't need to sprinkle it with extra flour.  In fact, I ended up adding a drop more hot water as I was shaping the balls.


I got 29 golf ball-sized balls out of the dough.  It makes a lot!


I let the balls sit covered for an hour, as the recipe instructs.  After that they were very easy to roll out thinly.  However, the golf-ball sized balls still made somewhat small tortillas - only about 6-8 inches in diameter.  Next time, I would make fewer balls and make them a little bigger.


I cooked them on my griddle this time, which was super easy.  It would have saved time if I could have rolled them out as fast as they cooked!

I was very pleased with how these tortillas turned out.  They seemed thinner and more pliable than the ones I have tried before, although I have not yet seem how they respond to reheating.  I did like how  many the recipe made; we can eat these for a while!

This recipe also inspired me to try to make homemade tortillas regularly.  Tortillas are so great for easy meals, but the whole wheat variety can cost at least $2.00 in the store for only 8.  I'm sure this recipe cost less than $1.00 for 29 small tortillas!

You also can beat the fresh, wholesome flavor of the homemade variety.  They are definitely not quite the same as the store-bought product, but I think they compare very favorably.



See lots more frugal ideas at Frugal Fridays.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe, we are going to switch from "white" foods to "brown", so this is perfect. I was worried switching would be more expensive, this is great news! I am going to try this recipe now!

    Dian
    Grocery Shop For FREE
    http://www.groceryshopforfree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make some homemade tortillas. I have ventured that way yet. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna, I used the same amount of olive oil as the shortening called for in the recipe - I think 1/2 cup.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!