Thursday, May 28, 2009

Frugal Meal: Chicken Pasta Salad


The other night for dinner, I whipped up one of my favorite summer meals: pasta salad. I love this dish because it's quick and easy to put together, and you can keep in the fridge and pull it out for a healthy lunch or dinner any time.

I realized as I was making it that almost all of the ingredients I used were coupon deals, making the cost of this dish extremely low. Here's what I used.

1 12-oz. bag Wacky Mac = free (triple coupons)
1 bag Bird's Eye Steamfresh mixed vegetables = about $.50 in a Harris Teeter deal

part of a bottle Kraft Italian dressing = $.05 (bottle was $.09 on a Target deal)

1 chicken breast that we grilled on the weekend @ $1.99/lb. = $1.00

a few slices of pepperoni leftover from making pizza = $.50

Total spent: $2.05

The big bowl of pasta salad served me and my husband for dinner, plus 4 lunches.

So that works out to: $.33/serving!

When my fresh herbs come in, I hope to experiment with making some fresh salad dressings, but for now the bottled dressing made this a snap to put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!