Thursday, September 3, 2009

Garden Update

Wow - it's been a busy summer, and I haven't posted a garden update in quite a while! The garden is still going strong, and we've moved into a new phase in our harvest. After a good 6-8 weeks of bountiful cucumbers (I think 30 was the final count), the cucumber vines have died. Our radishes are also gone.

Next up - peppers and tomatoes! My two surviving jalapeno plants are producing well, and I've made a couple of batches of this yummy homemade salsa. Our bell peppers are just about ready to start being picked. (We kind of got a late start on these after I lost my initial seedlings.) However, we tend to have fairly mild fall seasons here, so I imagine that we'll still have plenty of time to take advantage of them.


My heirloom cherry tomato plant is also in full harvesting mode, and is doing very well. I did notice that some of the tomatoes are splitting in the bottom, and I'm not sure what's causing that.


Our herbs are also thriving. The mint, as usual, is huge and prolific. I don't think I could use all of it if I used it every day! Our basil and parsley are also bountiful. I'm trying to dry as much as I can; at least enough to last us through the winter. I'm finding that herbs are so useful and easy to grow; I'm going to try for more next year.

This weekend, I'm going to try planting a fall crop of some more radishes and carrots and some mesclun greens. I'm not sure if they will all produce before it gets too cold, but I have the extra seeds and figure it's worth a try.

My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies.
- Song of Songs 6:2

3 comments:

  1. The tomatoes are splitting from all the rain we had. The ones that split can be eaten if noticed shortly after and used right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Stephanie, I am agree with you. It could be one of the reason behind them. I'd like to advice you, pluck those tomato at randomly when those are on the peak.
    Allvira,
    -----------------------------
    Sliding Wardrobe Doors UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stephanie! That's good to know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!