Monday, October 12, 2009

Living on One Car in a Two-Car World


When I tell new acquaintances that my husband and I share one car, I am usually met with a mix of shock and pity. In our affluent society, it is practically unheard of for each adult driver in a household not to have his or her own car. However, my family has managed well with one car for four years, and we plan to continue to live this way as long as it seems necessary. While our lifestyle might not work for everyone, I hope that it demonstrates that living without a second car can be both possible and practical.

When my husband and I were first married and both working, it was easy to live on one car with the help of public transportation. However, a year after our wedding we moved to an outer suburb/small town bereft of a subway or bus system that we could use, and shortly after I quit my job to stay home with our newborn daughter. There was no other way for my husband to get to his job 30 minutes from home except by driving, which meant that I was left without transportation during the day. Now, three years later, we have added a second daughter to our family, but not a second car!

The girls and I stay at home most days without a car. Once a week (occasionally twice), we get up early in the morning, drive my husband to work, and spend the entire day on errands and appointments. Then we drive 30 minutes to pick him up in the evening, and we all drive 30-45 minutes home in rush-hour traffic.

Why do we have only one car? The simple answer is that we do not feel that we can responsibly afford another one. At certain times during the past four years, we might have been able to squeeze a car payment into our budget, but it would have been at the expense of our financial security and our other priorities.  Further, although we would not rule out a car payment, we would much prefer to pay for a car in cash.

Clearly, living with one car can be challenging and a sacrifice. However, after four years in this situation, we have discovered a host of unexpected blessings and benefits that have come with our unconventional lifestyle.

First of all, we easily save hundreds of dollars a year by not paying for the expenses of a second car. It also helps us save money in other ways. Out of necessity, I have become extremely organized about my shopping trips. I combine trips and map out the route that is most efficient. I try to do most of my grocery shopping for a two-week period in one trip, and I can often go at least a week without going to the supermarket. Limiting my shopping trips to once a week also prevents me from being tempted by impulse purchases.

On a more personal level, I feel that our situation has also blessed me with the opportunity to truly blossom in our home and to focus on my life there. At first, as a new mom, I chafed at being unable to get out of the house, and I admit that some days it is still hard. But now with two little ones, I have so much to do that I can’t get it all done even with being home all day! And my girls and I have developed a rhythm to our days, so much so that I feel very discombobulated if I take the car more than one day a week.

I believe that the day will come when our lifestyle and/or our growing family will require us to purchase a second car. God willing, at that point we will have the money to do so. And quite honestly, I am looking forward to that day. I know that I will never take having my own transportation for granted, but rather see it as a wonderful privilege and gift. Until then, I tell my friends, I may not get out much, but they're welcome to come over!
 
Photo by cibek.

2 comments:

  1. Do you Freecycle ? If so do ppl wait for you to organize your time to do a pick-up ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't see this comment earlier! I actually used Freecycle extensively even with one car. A lot of times when I requested the item I would just ask if my husband could pick it up on the way home from work. Less frequently, I would pick them up on the days I had the car or on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!