Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Buying Gifts from Second-Hand Sources


The title I chose for this post sounds a little better than "buying second-hand gifts," doesn't it!  But the reality for me is, I rule out neither second-hand gifts nor buying gifts at second-hand sources, such as yard sales, thrift stores, and Ebay.  I think it all depends on the circumstances (as in your financial circumstances as well as who your recipient is), as well as on your comfort level.  But when it comes down to it, is gift-giving about following some arbitrary rules or one-upping others?  In the end, I think it's about thinking of someone else and giving him something that you think he will like, wherever it comes from.

But I've stepped off my soapbox now, and I'll get down to the practical details.  How and why would you buy a gift from a "non-traditional" source?  Here are some of the sources that I have used or have thought of using to find gifts for others:

Ebay - Everyone knows that you can buy used items on Ebay, but maybe not everyone realizes the sheer extent of the new items that are available on the site.  Whether it's an unopened item that a private individual is selling or inventory from an Ebay store, you can find a brand new version of practically anything on Ebay.  If it's a new, sealed item and you can get it for a little lower price on Ebay, why wouldn't you shop for a gift there?  However, do make sure that you're getting a deal before you buy.  Don't assume that just because it's on Ebay that it is cheaper, and don't get sucked into a bidding war!

Yard sales - Again, you can sometimes find new, unopened items at yard sales, which could surely make a appropriate gifts.  Look for small items like candles or seasonal items for perfect hostess gifts and for unopened DVDs.  Of course, check the condition of the item carefully, even if it's new, as it might have been sitting in someone's basement for years or been kicked around by their kids!

Used books stores - A couple of years ago, my sister was interested in reading novels of an author who had many works out of print.  I called a local used book store and was able to buy her several titles for just a couple of dollars each.  As this was the only way the books were available, it was not an issue that these items were used; my sister was excited to get them.

Thrift and consignment stores - You may not find a lot of new items at thrift stores (at least not in giftable condition), but consignment stores tend to have more.  Also, don't completely rule out used items.  Looks for items that there would be a special reason to buy used - think vintage items or items for a collection. 

Craigslist - Two words: used toys.  Many kids end up with so many toys that their parents often sell toys that have barely been touched.  I personally don't usually feel comfortable giving used toys to children outside my family, but I do buy them for my own children.  They are way to young to know or care, and it enables me to buy a little more than I would otherwise have been able to afford.

Hope my thoughts have given you some ideas.  Buying gifts from non-traditonal sources Works for Me!

1 comment:

  1. I've bought second hand gifts for my daughter - she loves them, and they're often more interesting than what we can find in the big box stores around here!

    I'm always tempted to buy "new" CDs and DVDs at flea markets, but I suspect a lot of things at our flea market come from shoplifting, so I'd rather buy something obviously used, or brand new at the store.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!