Thursday, November 18, 2010

$10 Giving Challenge - "Wegmans Style"

Food Bank Button


I have been planning to participate in Moneywise Moms $10 Food Bank challenge, and I finally remembered to purchase my items!  Basically, the idea is to take $10 from your grocery budget this month, maximize it with deal shopping, and donate it to a food bank.

I had hoped to do this at Harris Teeter Super Doubles a few weeks ago, but I didn't have my act together that week.  So instead, I decided to just spend the $10 at Wegmans on their Wegmans brand deals.  I know that Wegmans brand is high quality, and I figured that even without coupons I could get a good amount of food for $10.

Here's what I got:

1 box Wegmans Toasted Oats - $1.99
1 box Wegmans Ziti - $.69
1 jar Wegmans Marinara Sauce - $.99
1 quart Wegmans Cream of Tomato Soup - $1.99
5 cans Wegmans vegetables - $.39 each
7 boxes Wegmans macaroni and cheese - $.33 each
Total: $10.18 with tax

I based some of my choices on the local interfaith relief organization's wish list, which was published in our church bulletin on Sunday.  Our monthly food collection is this weekend, so I know that I'll have an easy opportunity to drop it off.

This really made me think what a small fraction of our food budget $10 really is, yet what a difference the food could make to someone struggling. I've started to think that maybe I should do something like this every month; I'll be thinking and praying about that over the holiday season.

If you feel so inspired, think about joining the $10 Food Bank Challenge yourself!  Link up or comment with Gina and let me know too if you decide to join in!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Liz! I'm part way done with my $10 Food Bank Challenge shopping and hope to post my picture and deals in the next few days.
    Wegmans has some great prices, even without coupons.
    Just curious, were the Mac & Cheese boxes free since you didn't include a price next to them?
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out, Laura! I added in the price - they've been on a long-term sale for just $.33 each!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!