Thursday, August 27, 2009

Birthday Cake!

Sorry for the blogging hiatus the past couple of days. Life's been busy!

As promised, I did want to share with you the fun cake I made for a little joint birthday party we had for my girls when my family came for the weekend.

I had a "classic birthday" theme for the party, and when I saw this cake on Wilton.com, I couldn't resist trying it. As you can see, I created my own version of their design.

This cake didn't require a lot of technical skill or talent to make (I've never taken a class or anything in cake decorating), but it did require a lot of steps and several days of preparation!

One of the best decisions I made was to purchase these neat food markers to decorate the cookies! It saved me from having to mix a lot of different icing colors, which always takes time. Once the cookie icing was hardened, the markers worked exactly like regular markers, and I could even draw the balloon and star shapes on the cookie pops!

The markers cost about $8, but I used a 50% off coupon at AC Moore. Plus, they will definitely last for several projects (you store them in the fridge).

This cake was a fun project for me, and I'm sure my girls would have liked a much simpler cake too. However, I did get my reward when, as I finished assembling the cake, my 3 year old exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy, that looks beautiful!"

See more great DIY projects at A Soft Place to Land!

7 comments:

  1. Liz,
    Great job on the cake and very creative! I bet your girls loved it!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, it looks wonderful! I love how bright and fun it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat cake! And the curling ribbon is the perfect touch. Happy birthday, girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the cake decoration. Its amazing. Would you please explore it? How did you do this decoration? I am curious to know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the "Happy Birthday" letters and the balloons and stars are all cookies. I frosted them with a hard-drying cookies frosting from Wilton.com, and then I decorated them with the food markers.

    I stuck the cookies onto the sticks with royal icing, and the letter just stuck onto the buttercream icing on the cake. Then I just piped the borders using tubes of prepared decorating icing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!