Friday, August 28, 2009

My Life Right Now

I'd like to take a minute today to share why I haven't been posting quite as much as I started out to do. And no, I'm not pregnant. ;-)

The main reason is extremely prosaic, actually - I have a very slow computer! Currently, I use my husband's laptop from college, which he bought used at the time. Let's just say it's getting slower and slower. Obviously, the technology is also outdated, which can make it hard to use. For instance, I actually have to disconnect from the Internet to hook up my camera to upload pictures! Needless to say, writing a blog post can be a little time-consuming.

One of the challenging things about trying to be frugal is that no, you don't just run out and buy an extremely expensive item like a new computer just because yours slows down a bit (or a lot). That being said, my husband and I are trying to work out a solution for me, but I'm not sure quite when we'll get around to resolving it.

I don't consider myself a big technology person, but it is amazing how much I do on the computer in my day to day life. I take care of a lot of my communication with friends and family, work on the budget, work on my blog, look up recipes, keep up with my moms' groups, etc. So having such a slow machine is making me spend a couple of hours just trying to keep up with email and the blog, let alone everything else.

Since I have two toddler girls to take care of, I really can't be spending hour upon on hour on the computer each day. So for now, I may only be posting a few times a week, instead of every day.

I have some big dreams for this blog, including a redesign and better features, that I do hope I'll be able to look into in the next few months. I love sharing my frugal adventures with you all, and I appreciate all of you who read and comment. I'd love to hear any suggestions from my readers of what you like and what direction you'd like to see this blog take.

Thanks for reading Frugally Blonde!

2 comments:

  1. To me part of being being frugal is when you save where you can (grocery, hb, etc) and then use those saved dollars to make a neccesary purchase when needed. I like you used to use an 8 yrs old lap top until last year and it was just like you said getting slower and slower. So around last Xmas I bought a new Sony lap top by calling their sales number and after finding out about all the possible promotions I could utilize (including the one where they mailed me a $300 rebate check after I sent in my old lap top to them to be recycled - happened to be a model listed in the promo). They had several other nice promotions that I was able to combine so I ended up with a $1,500 lap top for about $1,000 OOP. So Xmas is coming and I am sure there will be lots of good deals to be had. And even with Back to school right now I am sure you can find good deal on a lap top, just start noticing. Actually just last week Walmart had some lap tops for about $300 - $400. Probably not top of the line but I am sure it is going to do a job better than your current one. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thanks for the comment. You're right; the good thing about being frugal is the ability to save up for what you need. It sounds like you got a great deal on your computer, and I appreciate the advice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!