Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday Tip

Today's Tuesday tip is thanks to Leann.  She writes,  

"I would have to say that my favorite money saver is breast feeding.  Not only is it a free and readily available food source, it helps keep babies healthy . . . .This is so important to me.  I even breast fed our two year old who was born at 23 weeks 3 days of gestation.  I had to pump for four months before she was actually able to nurse on her own and gain weight.  She only received my milk (with some calorie additives) and she has never been sick with an infection or virus."

It's often said, but it bears repeating, breast feeding saves so much money!  One article I read put the average cost of formula for the first year at $1500-$2000, not counting bottles and other supplies!  Even if you count the cost of extra food for the hungry breastfeeding mommy and any nursing supplies, the cost of breastfeeding is still much lower.  And of course, it has so many other benefits to mommy and baby, including potentially preventing health problems.

(Needless to say, I don't think there's ever a reason that any mommy should judge another for not breastfeeding.  I just think it's worth it to point the advantages of breast feeding from a purely economic standpoint. :-)


There's a good article here that also talks about the money saving benefits of "nature's magic money saver."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!