Friday, November 20, 2009

Black Friday Shopping Tips


I admit it - I do love shopping on Black Friday!  True, I've never gotten up at 4:00AM and waited in line to get any of the hot electronics deals.  However, my mom and sisters and I have a tradition of kicking off our shopping on that day and hitting some good (but not too crazy) sales.  We embrace the crowds and bustle as fun and festive.  We still talk about the year that we had to camp out with our food on the floor in front of Chic-fil-A since there were no seats!

If you plan to venture out on Black Friday this year, I've put together a few shopping tips that I hope will be helpful:

Check out the deals ahead of time - Most store release their Black Friday ads early, so get an idea of what's out there.  Go here to see the ad scans for a whole bunch of stores.

Decide which (if any) of the hot deals you plan to pursue - Once you've discovered what deals are out there, decide what you hope to purchase.  Remember, just because it is a great deal on BF doesn't necessarily mean that a) you need or want it, b) you can afford it, or c) that you won't be able to find an almost-as-good deal again before Christmas.  However, if after thinking it through you decide that there is a "hot" BF item that you'd like for someone on your list, plan to go after that first.  I wouldn't advise picking more than one or two hot items - instead, devote your energies to trying to snag those top priorities.

Plan for parking and eating -Scope out your shopping area ahead of time, and plan where you might park.  Also, remember to have something to eat, especially if you're heading out for one of those 4 or 5 AM lines. You don't want to faint in line!  Maybe plan to stop for a more leisurely brunch or lunch after you hit your top sales.


Think beyond the mall - It's not the only place to get BF deals!  Shopping at smaller, independent, or less-frequented stores may get you some great deals with less craziness.  Last year, a friend told me that Home Depot had $.99 pointsettas on Black Friday, and it looks like they're doing it again this year!  That would be a frugal and lovely way to decorate for the holidays!  I also remember Crystal talking about shopping at her favorite thrift store on BF and hitting an enormous sale.

Embrace the chaos - Finally, enjoy yourself and stay in the Christmas spirit!  You're shopping on Black Friday, for heaven's sake, so realize that crowds and lines are going to be part of the experience.  And of course, keep in mind the spirit of the season with kindness and understanding to all.  That's always worth more than any deal.

Check out more Frugal Friday tips here.

3 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I love the idea about the .99 pointsettas! What a great, beautiful, longer-lasting gift! Thanks for the heads up. I'm visiting from the Life as Mom blog, and although I try to avoid going out on Black Friday, you do have some great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about Black Friday - I just love being out in the crowds. Crazy but fun. I think it helps that I don't expect to buy anything in particular, just have my list and hope!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!