Monday, January 11, 2010

Menu Plan & Pantry-Eating Update


After our first official week of eating from the pantry, I am able to report that I am really glad I decided to do this.  It's been very satisfying to eat up the last miscellaneous apples from the fruit drawer and to rescue forgotten cans from the back of the pantry.  It's hasn't really been too difficult so far.

I did stray from doing only essential grocery shopping for Harris Teeter's Super Double coupons, as I did leave myself leeway to go after any particularly great deals.  I will also need to purchase some meat and frozen vegetables this week, in addition to the usual fruit, milk, and yogurt.  However, besides those items, I think we can work mostly from the pantry again this week!

Here's my menu plan for this week:

Breakfasts:
cereal, oatmeal, pumpkin muffins, yogurt

Lunches:
cheese and crackers, tuna sandwiches, Shepherd's Pie, leftovers

Snacks:
mini yogurts, fruit, popcorn, corn chips and guacamole

Dinners:
Mon - Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans
Tues -Canned soup with bread and cheese (crazy evening!)
Wed -Spaghetti with beef mushroom sauce, sauteed greens, bread
Thurs - Leftovers (Daddy out for dinner)
Fri - Spaghetti with pesto, salad, french bread
Sat - attending a party
Sun - leftovers

Read more about the Eat from the Pantry Challenge here.  See more Menu Planning Monday here.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm spaghetti with pesto sounds great. Do you make your own or buy from the store? Just curious because I've never made my own before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! Actually, I did make my own, with the basil from our garden this summer. I used the last of the basil to freeze some pesto in baby food freezer trays, and I still have a little left.

    I linked to a recipe for homemade pesto in this post:
    http://frugallyblonde.blogspot.com/2009/07/garden-update-cucumber-edition.html

    It's really easy to make. The hardest part is getting the consistency right, but that just takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have homemade pesto on our menu this week too. I made mine for the first time this year and I am so glad I did, homemade is sooooo much better than what you buy at the store. I am planning on planting alot more basil this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!