Friday, February 26, 2010

March Freezer Cooking

Having a "freezer cooking" or "baking day" is becoming a real habit with me.  Since I do try to make so much of my family's food from scratch, it really relieves a lot of stress to have a couple of big days of cooking at the beginning of the month.  If I don't do this, I feel like I have to be cooking or baking something every day, or else we'll run out of bread or snacks or something.  (This doesn't count dinner; I do generally make dinner every night, unless we're having leftovers or it's a crazy night and we eat something from the freezer.)

With being pregnant, I'm even more feeling the need to have good, wholesome food available when I need it.  I always crave meat and other protein incredibly strongly throughout my whole pregnancies, and so I'm trying to have some hearty foods on hand that I can pull out when I'm craving them.

So once again I'm joining lots of other bloggers for March Once a Month Cooking.  Here's my plan this time:

Homemade onion bagels - I'm experimenting with a new variation to make the onion variety.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

Dried cranberry muffins - I got an amazing deal on Craisins at Wegmans the past two weeks - the orange flavored ones were half price (as a discontinued item)!  My girls could eat these until the cows come home, but I'm putting some aside for muffins

Cooked beans - I've not had any cooked beans in my freezer for a while.  It's been so bad that I actually bought canned beans the other night!  I'm going to cook up some black beans and some kidney beans for recipes and to freeze.

Homemade corn chips - These delicious and flavorful homemade corn "chips" that my husband invented are more like a hearty cracker than an actual chip, but they are delicious and much, much healthier than store bought corn chips.  These will be great for snacks.

Black bean dip - to go with the chips.  Yummmm!

Chili (x2) - Monday night I'm cooking for a mom in one of my moms' groups who just had a baby.  I'll be making chili for her and for us.

Vegetable pizza - I'm making a couple of heavily veggie-ized pizza for myself to freeze for snacks.  If nobody else likes broccoli and spinach on their pizza, they don't have to eat it!

This is a long list, but a number of the items don't really take that long to make.  I plan to really focus on the cooking and nothing else on Monday, and I'll be sharing the results on Tuesday.

Are you planning any cooking or baking to store up for March?

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear how you prepare the beans for cooking - I've never tried from dry beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Kate! I posted about how I do it a little while back here:

    http://frugallyblonde.blogspot.com/2009/04/beans-and-bagels.html

    Hope that answers your questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz. So you let the cooked beans cool and freeze in bags? Love your blog! I'm newly obsessed with couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I usually freeze them in quart-sized bags, because they're easy to store, and they hold about 2 cups of beans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!