Monday, February 1, 2010

Menu Planning Monday: No More Eating from the Pantry!

Well, I admit that it's nice to have done a "big" grocery shopping and not be just eating from the pantry this week.  However, we are using up one last big item.  Yesterday, I roasted a large turkey that had been in my freezer since Thanksgiving!  I'm still usually somewhat nervous about roasting whole birds, but I think this one turned out the best of any I've tried.  I thawed it for almost a week in the refrigerator, so I wasn't worried about it being still-frozen and being undercooked.  I also basted it, and it turned out pretty moist.

We'll eat the turkey for dinner again tonight and also use some of the meat for sandwiches.  I'll freeze the rest of the large pieces of meat, and then make soup out of the carcass for later in the week.  I could use a couple of good recipes for the frozen meat though; my husband doesn't like anything too casserole-like.  Anyone have a good leftover turkey recipe?

Here's our menu plan for this week.


Breakfasts:
homemade bagels & cream cheese, yogurt, cereal, homemade breakfast hot pockets

Lunches:
beef burritos, turkey & pesto sandwiches, cheese & crackers, peanut butter & jelly

Dinners:
Mon - Leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans
Tues - Ground beef stroganoff, salad
Wed - Turkey soup, muffins
Thurs - Spaghetti and meatballs, french bread, salad
Fri - Red beans and rice, corn muffins
Sat - Auction dinner for church (night out!) - homemade pizza for kids
Sun - Vegetable fried rice

To see my cooking/baking list, check out my post on February freezer cooking, which I'm doing the beginning of this week.

See more menus at Menu Planning Monday.

5 comments:

  1. What about turkey pot pie (or is that too casserole-like for Mike?) or white chicken chili, substituting the turkey in for chicken, of course :) Besides that, I normally just do boring stuff like open faced turkey and gravy sandwiches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, turkey pot pie does sound good. I think Michael might be able to handle that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some ideas that I have used on my family for leftover turkey or chicken:
    1. turkey quesidillas, just add cheese, spices, and turkey to a tortilla, and warm in a pan. One tortilla works well for kids (just fold over), or you can add a second tortilla on top and flip for adults. Other things I've added include sliced green onions or salsa.
    2. turkey burrito bowls, I put rice, black beans, and the turkey in a bowl, and add lettuce, sour cream or plain yogurt, cheese, salsa (or chopped tomatoes) and then whatever else strikes our fancy, i.e. corn, peppers, avocado, you name it. Good way to get extra veggies.
    3. turkey phillies, I sautee onions and green peppers in a pan, and then cut the turkey into small pieces and warm with the veggies. I put on buns and cover with provolone and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted. This is a big hit in our house
    4. turkey fajitas, I sautee onions and peppers in a skillet with spices, add the turkey at the end to warm, and serve on warm flour tortillas with cheese and lettuce (why are so many of these ideas for southwestern food?!)
    5. turkey BBQ pizza, I carmelize onions, red are best, (I usually slice up a bunch of different onions that are looking a little sad and throw in the crockpot on low for a few hours with some butter for awhile every couple of months, carmelized onions are good to have on hand in the freezer), and put on a pizza crust with BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese, then top with the turkey. Very yummy. Could also do something similar on a sandwich.
    Good luck, I hope that some of those help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turkey Breast makes great meat for soup. You can boil up the bones with some onions, celery and carrots and a some spices for a a few jars of Turkey broth.

    I have had better results using the dark meat for the Turkey pot pie.

    Just find a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie and use Turkey instead

    I think the ingredients are:

    1 double Pie shell - Easy enough to make at home and tastier too.
    1 pound Turkey Meat
    1 tbsp oil
    2 cups Celery, Carrots and Onions (cut up small)
    Spices (salt, pepper, thyme)
    1 stick of butter
    1 & 3/4 cup turkey or chicken broth
    1 cup of milk
    1/3 cup flour

    Here is a link to a video that I use:
    http://video.about.com/southernfood/Chicken-Pot-Pie.htm

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!