Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WFMW: Frugal Cloth Diapering

Back in the fall, I posted about starting our cloth diapering adventure with LuLu, who at the time had just turned a year.  We have now been using cloth the majority of the time for about four months, and I am very happy with them (and the money I'm saving!).  I am still learning and am far from a pro, but it's been working pretty well for us.

One of the factors that had long held me back from trying cloth diapering (besides the washing) was the initial investment.  I knew that I would be very nervous to try the really basic "flats" (old-fashioned cloth diapers) with the folding and the plastic pants.  However, I was not thrilled about the idea about investing several hundred dollars in "modern" cloth diapers, and then not being able to recoup my investment maybe even until the second child used them.  (Since I used generic disposables, I was shelling out a lot less for disposables than many articles estimated.)

So when I decided to try cloth diapers, I was determined to find a way to shell out a very moderate amount of money before I committed myself.  I knew that I could always purchase more later on.  And I am happy to report that I found a way.  Here's what I have bought so far:

- 8 Bumwear pocket diapers with extra inserts from Ebay (gently used, excellent condition) - $30
- 12 Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers without inserts from consignment sale (pretty good condition, no stains) - $15
- 2 PUL (waterproof cloth) diaper pail liners from a home business - $20

I have been using some regular flat cloth diapers that were originally burp cloths as extra inserts.  For cloth wipes, I have cut up some old clothes and burp cloths and used some baby washcloths that I got from freecycle -  free

For about $65, I have been able to use cloth diapers 70-80% of the time.  Furthermore, they are the very easy to use pocket diapers, perfect for a nervous newbie.  I could still use some additional inserts and perhaps some better cloth wipes, but this is working for now.  At this rate, I was able to recoup my investment and start saving money in less than three months!

Frugal cloth diapering Works for Me!

PS - Of course, I was able to do this for as little money as I did by being okay with used cloth diapers.  If you're interested in cloth diapering, I highly recommend checking out the forums at Diaper Swappers.  Not only can you get tons of advice, but there are many diapers there for sale and trade, and some even free for the cost of shipping.

4 comments:

  1. I'm giving away at one size FuzziBunz cloth diaper on my blog right now - you should enter! http://www.greenbabygreenmama.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you got your used stuff cheap! i've spent way more for used on ebay...and suffered the problem of buying misrepresented stuff that didn't fit. boooo.

    we LOVE cloth. now that we have two in them, the savings double:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the wipes - I use flannel. I bought a yard of flannel for $2.00 3.5 years ago with my first kid and cut it into small squares and zig-zagged the edges with my sewing machine (you have to do this or it will unravel). Three kids later, they're still going strong. All that free baby wash and baby oil you get at the drug stores is great for homemade wipes, too! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your tips on frugal diaper costs. I too am doing cloth strictly for the saving money part. I'm all for saving the planet, but only when I can afford to!!

    Anyway, I wanted to post a 'beware' notice on buying used diapers. Check the prices out!! I looked on Craigslist.com for some used diapers and a lady was selling some of her 'overstock'. She had bought way too many kissaluvs fitteds size 0. Prefolds/flats are much more cost effecient btw. Anyway, she said they were off of the kissaluvs seconds/clearance page. She was charging about $12 a diaper. For the exact same size and style on the seconds or clearance page they were $9 a diaper. Even after shipping it was cheaper to purchase straight from the company. Do a little bit of research before purchasing used diapers, and I do strongly suggest diaperswappers.com. They are a great community.

    Even if a cloth diaper was only gently used by one child and perfectly cared for. . . it's still used. So if it's not a 'used' price, look elsewhere!

    sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!