Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Garden 2.0: Update #1

Spring must really be here!  Although I just wrote my first garden post last week, I already have an update!

First of all, two days ago I was thrilled to discover perky seedlings spouting up from the seeds we started!  Since all of our seeds we either harvested or saved from last year, I was really unsure if they would germinate, but so far, so good.  Thanks to advice from a helpful commenter, I also had my husband lower the lights to hang closer to the seeds, which I believe helped.  They sprouted within 24 hours of doing this.

Now that all our snow has finally melted, we also dug through our garden beds and harvested the remaining root vegetables that had been there all winter! 

I had planted some in the fall, but we had so much snow from Thanksgiving on that they were impossible to harvest.  Unfortunately, the radishes turned out to be rotten, but amazingly enough, the carrots are fine and delicious.  They did not have time to get very big, but we have been enjoying quite a few of our own "baby" carrots.

Finally, last Saturday we also planted some mesclun greens and new radishes and carrots outside in our garden beds.  As I understand it, these are plants that should be able to thrive in the cool spring weather.  I tried to plan ahead and spaced the rows so that if these plants are not fully harvested in mid-May, when it is time to plant other crops, we can plant the other plants in between them.  Then by the time the tomatoes and peppers need more room, the carrots and radishes should be harvested.

If you can't tell, we're all very excited about spring around here!

2 comments:

  1. It's great that your carrots were fine! I've read that they should be, but have wondered if that was really the case. I've never left them over the winter.

    We are moving this summer, but I'd like to grow some carrots myself. I wonder if they would do well in a large container that I could move with me? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. My grandfather shares all the veggies he grows with all us grand kids. Goods Stuff! Especially when Papaw grew it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!