Thursday, March 18, 2010

Garden 2.0

I'm very excited to get into our second year of vegetable gardening!  Especially with the winter we've had, it is such a welcome relief to get out into the sunshine and see things growing!

Last year, as you may remember, we successfully grew a number of crops, mostly by the seat of our pants, as we are very much amateurs!  This year, my goal is to both produce more and spend less, so that we are actually saving money by gardening, as well as enjoying its myraid additional benefits.  I'm hoping to do this by learning more ahead of time and planning our strategy better.

Last weekend, we made a trip to Home Depot for supplies for seed starting.  After my seed starting disaster last year, I did some research about what exactly was necessary for the process.  This post was absolutely invaluable in showing me explicity what to do - how else would I know what a "shop light" looked like?!

Here's the setup we purchased and my husband put together and hung in our basement.  We're pretty proud of it!  The two shop lights cost $10 each, plus the cost of the bulbs.  My husband already had the board, and he purchased the chains and hardware.

We also purchased these Jiffy seed starting trays, for $3.99 each.  They each came with 50 peat pots, which are biodigradable and you can plant right in your garden. 

GiGi and I planted one tray of seeds on Monday, and I am anxiously waiting to see if they germinate.  These seeds are all from last year - either leftover from the packages we purchased or harvested from our plants.  I really have no idea if any of them will sprout, but we were anxious to try.  If I don't spy any green in a week or so, I'll still have time to start a new batch.

Are any of you planning or starting any gardening this year?

6 comments:

  1. You have giving me a lot of inspiration. I want to do something similar in our basemant. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a suggestion (we have been starting our own seeds for 5 years)...keep the light as low to the plants as possible without having them touch. If the plants are too far from the light, they will grow thin and spindle-y, trying to reach for the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got some supplies this week but haven't planted yet. I'm very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome info! Now I don't have to call you with my questions, just check out your blog! I got some seeds tonight at Target!. I'm nervous!
    I need to go to Home Depot to get the seed starting trays. MAYBE i can start this weekend or next week.... btw, I'm not "anonymous," I'm Ashley Cristofaro. I just have no idea how to use those other methods of posting! AS YOU KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're planning on starting square-foot gardening for year #2. Last year we fought the deer for our produce, so this year we're going to try to use fencing and interspersing onion plants (they don't like them) in the garden to try and keep them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I start my seeds in clear milk jugs or soda bottles. I soak my seeds in a paper towel, left in the kitchen window and when they start to sprout I plant them in the jugs with garden soil. To clarify, I cut the jug in half & then replace the top as best I can...I like to think it creats a greenhouse effect. I keep them in the basement and when its nice outside, I stick them on the porch.

    I think if I had enough room I'd go with the grow light method!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!