Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tackling My 2012 Reading List

One of my goals for the new year is challenge myself with a brand new reading list.  I have loved to read since I was a child, but sad to say, in the past few years I have gotten lazy about it.

I don't have the money to spend on a lot of new books, and my library trips are centered around my children.  If I do have some spare time or money to spend on looking for books for myself, I can never seem to remember what I'd been wanting to read!  I'm usually reading something, but for a while it has mostly been re-reading old beloved novels or occasionally a borrowed title or two.

This year, I came up with a plan to broaden my horizons with some new books and finally read some titles that I've been interested in for years.  First of all, while on Christmas vacation with my family, I printed this Printable Reading List Planner.  Then I got my parents and brothers and sisters to all suggest books for me to read, and I came home with at least a dozen titles.

My next step was to search for all the books in my library's online catalog.  The library website allows you to save a reading list, which I did.  My plan is to request a couple of books at a time to be placed on hold at my library.  That way I just have to pick them up when I go on my weekly library trip with the kids - no browsing required.  For more popular titles, I can request them while I am reading other books, in case there is a long wait.

I am also planning to fill my reading list in on my PaperBackSwap wishlist.  If any of the books come up in the system, I will get exclusive rights to them for a few days, and I can request them if I choose.  I have been using PaperBackSwap for audio books, and the system works very well.  One advantage to getting books from PB Swap is that I won't have to worry about returning them on time; I can just swap them again when I'm finished or keep them for my colleciton.

I'm excited to read some new things in 2012.  So far, making a reading list is Working for Me!

This post contains my Paperback Swap referral link.


Picture by lusi.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely plan. I am a big reader as well, but I only go on recommendations since I seem to pick really bad ones on my own. :) I would love to get your booklist and see if I can get any from my library here! I have the same problems as you! Library time is kid time, not mommy-browsing time. :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may, I would venture to recommend a book called An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler--it's just a delightful book, and I'm only 1/4 of the way through! Everyone who cooks or eats will like it.

    Another good one I read recently is The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction: it's a long essay on why and how reading should be practiced for the JOY of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Paper Back Swap, thanks for sharing this tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!