Monday, February 27, 2012

Menu Plan: Meat Free Menus!


For the next six weeks, I'll be changing up my menu planning quite a bit.  My husband and I have decided this year to give up meat for Lent!  (My children are still eating some meat.)  Since I normally base the majority of our dinners (and some lunches too) around meat, this will definitely be a challenge.  However, I'm excited about trying some new, healthy recipes, as well as about the chance to simplify our food choices, as many people around the world do without the choice.

To make it easier on myself (and so that I don't serve my husband rice and beans every night), I am trying to create a weekly cycle using a different main ingredient each night.  I will probably vary the days of the week that I make each food, but I am going to try to use them all each week.  The "categories" that I came up with are the following:

pasta
eggs
fish
beans
soup
pizza
"wild card" night

We'll see how it goes!  I welcome any suggestions on eating a vegetarian diet or your favorite meatless meals!  Here's my planned menu for this week:

Breakfasts
cereal and milk
oatmeal
toast
yogurt
Sugar N Spice mini muffins

Lunches
(all with fruit)
kids - pepperoni, pbj, or nutella sandwiches/crackers
adults - leftover lentils, homemade pizza, pbj/nutella sandwiches

Snacks
pretzels
mini muffins
spicy peanuts
fruit

Dinners
Mon - Egyptian lentils over pasta (from The Joy of Cooking), green beans, rolls
Tues - Red beans and rice, corn muffins
Wed - Shrimp/vegetable spring rolls, glass noodles, strawberries and mango
Thurs - Emerald Green Risotto, bread, fruit
Fri - Breakfast for dinner: eggs and waffles
Sat - Papa John's pizza (using free coupon)
Sun - Minestrone soup, bread


What's your favorite meatless meal?

2 comments:

  1. I love the categories! We're doing meatless for two days a week, and it's honestly kind of fun to come up with new recipes to try. I'll have to take a few from your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our favorite meatless meals are veggie pizza (we like green pepper, mushrooms and olives) and baked mac & cheese casserole. Don't forget about soups that have beans--easy to make and really filling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!