Friday, February 27, 2009

Apricot Oatmeal Scones and New Series

Yesterday I mixed up Oatmeal Scones using a recipe from The Tightwad Gazette (but very similar to this). They were actualy supposed to be Oatmeal Raisin Scones, but since I was out of bulk raisins I used dried apricots.


Scones are very quick and easy to bake up. You simply mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter or margarine, and add the milk.


They really turned out pretty, so I had to try a piece. It was then that I realized that the recipe from the book did not include any sugar (unlike the one I linked to above). Since the scones are for my playgroup today, I did not want to have to mess with jam, so I decided to mix up a quick glaze.

I just mixed some confectioners sugar with a little milk and drizzled it over the tops. Yum!

These were so quick and easy and used a few, inexpensive ingredients. I will definitely be making these again.

And now . . . I wanted to announce my series for next week, about which I am very excited! Due to the interest shown in my previous posts on making homemade English muffins and corn chips, I have decided to run a week-long series called, Bake It - Don't Buy It!

Each day next week, starting Monday, I will take you through making a different item from scratch that is usually purchased at the store. I'll have plenty of pictures, so you'll be able to see how surprisingly easy it can be to save money this way. And I am going to try to include approximate cost breakdowns, so you can see just how much you'll save.

So if you are interested in making your own breads, breakfast foods, and snacks, please join me next week for Bake It - Don't Buy It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!