Friday, April 17, 2009

Homemade Zwieback

Check out more Frugal Fridays at Life As Mom.

One my favorite convenience foods for babies is Zwieback, a twice baked toast used as a teething biscuit. However, the only brand I have been able find is Gerber, and they only carry it at one store in my area, Giant. Further, Giant has been out of it both times I have checked lately.

I figured that it couldn't be to hard to make my own, and I was sure it would be much more frugal. I used this recipe, since it was the one I found that had the most complete instructions. Turns out that Zwieback is actually just the name of a traditional German roll, which can be optionally cut and toasted for babies.
The recipe was time-consuming, in that it had to rise three times, but not labor-intensive. Most of the time was in the rising.
The dough was easy to work with and smooth. To shape the rolls, you press out little ovals as shown and roll them up. I thought that was interesting. Actually, it is not the traditional German shape for the rolls, but it was perfect for later slicing and toasting them for the baby.

I tried one of the rolls before toasting, and it was delicious - a simple, soft, fresh-tasting yeast roll.

Here they are after toasting in the oven. The recipe definitely made a lot!

I figure that this entire recipe cost me about $.90 to make, compared with about $2.99 for the Gerber box, which probably has less than half the number of toasts!

Finally, I thought this was so beautiful that I had to share it. It was with another Zwieback recipe I looked at:

Old German Breadmaking Blessing

The Lord has given us bread.

Without it there is no life,

As long as bread is in the cupboard,

We need not fast.

Lord, bless our bread,

For then we have no need.

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I am going to try this. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for a box of teething biscuits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!