Sunday, October 11, 2009

Consignment Sale Finds & Grocery Budget Totals

Well, I had another very successful (early!) morning of shopping at my favorite consignment sale yesterday morning.  My girls already had a lot of wonderful hand-me-downs for the fall, but I got each of them a few things they needed as well as a couple of fun extras.  I also scored some incredible deals on equipment I had been looking for.  Here are some of my best finds:

This Little Tikes Roller Coaster for $7!!!  The girls love it!


This gorgeous Janie and Jack skirt and sweater set for GiGi for $11.  This was actually a splurge for me, but I thought it was so lovely.  Plus, you could hardly buy a pair of socks in Janie and Jack for $11. ;-)



A lot of 12 Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers for $16!  I was thrilled with this find, because this brand was highly recommended to me, and the diapers cost about $16.95 each regular price.  Now, if the cloth diapering works out, I should have plenty of diapers.



This adorable butterfly costume for $5.  It's really interesting because the wings are stuffed fleece, instead of flimsy wire, so they are much more sturdy.  Good thing, because it's for my one year old!



These Pipsqueak shoes for $3 (retail for $30.95).  So cute!


After I checked out at the sale, though, I was happiest because I stayed right about on budget!  Frugal as I may be, I can really get tempted by all the amazing bargains at the sale to buy things that we don't need.  I've learned to set myself a budget, allowing a little money for treats and extras, and to stick to that amount.

I haven't updated on my grocery budget in a while either!  Back at the beginning of September, I mentioned that I'm working on lowering our monthly budget from $350 to $300 (that includes food, toiletries, and cleaning and paper products).  Well, I didn't quite make it in September, but I made progress.  In September, our grocery total was $317.61.  Not quite to the goal, but still an extra $32.39 to sock away.

So far in October I've spent $137.64.  We're well stocked with food, and I shouldn't need anything except fresh fruit at least through next week.  I'm hoping to make my goal in October!

Anybody else go consignment shopping this weekend or recently?  Any great finds?

6 comments:

  1. That roller coaster looks awesome! I ended up going just for the 1/2 price sale and got some cool stuff. I found boots for Anthony ($2!) and it wasn't until I got home that I discovered they light up! So, I guess they double as a toy cause Anthony loves hitting them on the ground to get them to light up... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw you featured on my local San Francisco news channel. Great blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should figure out how working a second shift could be possible because I need to be in that 6:30 line...I hate getting there before anyone else and then watching so many people get in before me when they divide the lines. I've been 1st in the door at 7 a.m. for years now and all the big equipment is picked over entirely by then. But still, I bought the entire winter wardrobe for all 3 kids and spent just shy of $100 even after throwing in a new toy for each of them, too. I usually bring in just a little bit more than that so I probably came close to breaking even in the end.

    This was however the first year that pick-up didn't go very smoothly for me. They didn't have my rack sorted out at all for pick-up time so we had to pick through and locate our own stuff and it was chaos. Was it like that for others or did i just get an unlucky draw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, for my second shift I tagged donations. I could do it at home on my own schedule, which was nice. I think there are a limited number of those type of shifts, though.

    I just donated my unsold consignments, so I don't know how pickup went. It did seem like it was hard for everyone to get used to the new facility.

    $100 for all three kids?! That is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were #67 in line (as neither of us consign at this sale), but weren't looking for specific things.

    My friend scored a BOB stroller for $100!! It's in great condition!

    CA,$100 for all three is amazing!

    I can't seem to stay within budget, but I'm willing to "splurge", like you Liz, on J&J and Gymbo especially if it's in perfect condition.

    I'm pretty psyched to shop on Friday night at the MOPS sale though...but am sad consignment season is coming to close :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great stuff you got, Liz!! I LOVE the shoes and the Janie and Jack outfit. And I'm so envious about the fuzzibunz -- Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!