Friday, October 9, 2009

Consignment Sale Shopping for the Serious Bargain Hunter

The annual children's consignment sale where I shop is tomorrow morning, and I am very excited!  I'm volunteering tonight during the consignor drop-off, and then I'll be shopping at 6:30 tomorrow morning (a ungodly hour reserved for those who volunteer for two shifts).

In the spring, I wrote a post about shopping consignment sales with some tips for new shoppers.  I have now shopped/volunteered at six children's consignment sale, and I thought it would be fun to share some additional strategies that I have learned for maximizing the experience and the bargains.

- Try to volunteer at the sale - It is really worth it to me to volunteer 2-1/2-3 hours of my time to be able to shop early for the best selection.  Plus, it's really fun to volunteer.  You meet other moms and often see the same folks year after year.  Although this shift is in high demand, when I can I like to volunteer on Friday night, as I'm doing this sale.  That way, not only do I get my volunteer commitment out of the way and can just enjoy shopping on Saturday, but I can preview the items for sale!

- Get yourself ready - Since I shop really early, I have my sale morning routine down to a science.  I get up, skip the shower, and dress in comfortable layers and tennis shoes.  My sale has over 300 volunteers, so even when I'm shopping the pre-sale, I like to be one of the first volunteers to arrive.  I stop for a quick "treat" fast food breakfast and coffee to eat while I'm waiting in line - I don't want to faint in the middle of bargain shopping!  Although my sale hands out trash bags to carry your purchases, it's much easier to carry around my huge resuable shopping bag with handles from Ikea.  I've also seen shoppers with rolling carts to save their backs or with laundry baskets.

- Make a list - Before the sale, make a list of what you need and want.  These sale can be overwhelming, and it's easy to get distracted and forget to find what you really need.  Search for the items on your list first and then feel free to browse.  It's also smart to set a budget.  I have definitely gotten carried away with the bargains at these sales, but now I remind myself - just because it's a great deal doesn't mean that we need it or have the money for it.  But do try to leave a little "fun money" in your budget for unexpected finds.

- Make a plan of attack - Unless I'm looking for a specific item of equipment, I usually head to clothes first.  I love having the best selection of name-brand items to choose from.  However, last summer, when I was looking for some new baby equipment before LuLu was born, I definitely went to large equipment first.  If you're looking for an expensive or high-demand item, run straight to that area right away.  In my experience, these would be anything new or trendy, as well as high-quality name brands and anything that is really expensive at full price (electric breast pumps, for instance).  As my daughter has gotten older, I've noticed that the nice toys also go very quickly, so I think I'll take a quick look at those first this year.

-Grab and sort - Don't stand in front of the clothing rack debating between two sundresses while everyone else grabs the best coats!  Instead, go ahead and grab anything that you think you might purchase.  Then, after you've finished looking through an area, sit down and sort your items and narrow them down.  In my area, this is so much the approved strategy that my sale has a designated sorting area and volunteers who will return your excess items to the racks.

- Have fun - In the end, don't go too crazy with strategy and tracking down bargains.  As I tell myself with pretty much every kind of bargain shopping, there will always be another deal.  Part of the fun of the sale is chatting with other budget-minded moms, so be courteous and fair.  And even if you miss out on something that you're looking for, there are often fun items that you wouldn't expect.  I love coming home and surprising my girls with a little treat, especially if it was a great deal!

This post is linked to Frugal Fridays.  Check it out to find bunches of frugal tips from around the blogosphere!

1 comment:

  1. Brillant post Liz.
    I hate crowds, so have skipped these after a couple years of trying, but I still don't buy childrens' stuff unless it's @ yard sales or
    thrift stores. i hope your readers enjoy these tips.
    I've seen it helps if you have a buddy who knows your list & visa versa, and taking turn standing in line as a cuople will give you the freedom to potty after all that coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!