Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Tip

A quick & painless money-saving tip every Tuesday . . .


Extend your ground beef dishes by throwing a few beans into the mix.  This works especially well for dishes like chili, tacos, soups, and casseroles.  Black beans are my family's favorite, but any kind of beans will work.  I try to cook a large quantity of dried beans at a time and keep them in quart sized bags in the freezer.  Then it is easy to pull out whatever quantity I need for a recipe.

Beans are filling, a source of protein, and mild in taste, plus they are very inexpensive.  According to Harris Teeter's online store, 16 oz. of dried black beans are $1.29.  The cheapest I can regularly get ground beef (on sale) is $1.99/lb., and it is much more when not on a good sale.  Plus, that is generally 80/20 ground beef, which loses some of its weight when the fat cooks off. 

Sometimes just a cup or a half a cup of beans is the difference between a meal's serving us for one night or two, which really extends the value we get from the meat.

Have a fast and easy money saving tip to share?  Email me, and I'll credit you if I use your tip!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of beans, but I addd frozen corn to my chili for the same reason. It extends the meat, and it's super tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!