Friday, December 18, 2009

Decorating Your House for Free


I love to make the house look special all though the year for the different seasons and holidays, but I am a complete Christmas romantic, so it's really important to me at Christmas.  However, home decorating items just don't find much of a place in our budget right now.


So last year I challenged myself to come up with some decorations using items I already had around the house.  (You can see the mantal display above and below.)  It was surprising how much I could find around the house - versatile glass vases and bowls, red silk napkins, candles, and even ribbon and bows that I had saved from packages.  I used free branches from a Christmas tree seller as the background. (We didn't even buy our tree from that nursery; we just drove up and asked for the extra branches.)

The display was certainly not Martha Stewart, but it looked festive.  And the only money I spent was a few dollars at the dollar store.  This year, I got a little more ambitious.  I don't consider myself to be that artistic in the decorating department, but I know what I like when I see it.  I was inspired by a spread in All You magazine and this and this to try a pink/Land of Sweets theme!

I figured that with two little girls I have plenty of pink items lying around, and that with all the deals right before Christmas it would be pretty frugal to use candy to decorate.  Sure enough, I got a great deal on a ton of candy at Rite Aid last week, and I actually paid for it with a Rite Aid gift card I had earned back in the summer for a diaper deal.  So that didn't cost me a dime.

Here's what I've put together:

Thanks to Crystal for this idea!



I did buy the styrofoam base and the marshmallows for the wreath, but it cost under $10 total.



We're attending a performance of the Nutcracker on Sunday, and now we're in the mood!

See more Frugal Fridays here.

3 comments:

  1. Cute decorations Liz!
    I might write a post about some of my frugal Christmas decorations too. One that I'm proud of is a glass Hurricane vase/candle holder filled with green ball ornaments wrapped with a gold bow. All items I already had on hand, so very frugal!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very festive decorations. I esp. like the marshmallow wreath. That may have to go on my list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminds me--thanks for the heads up about Home Depot's $0.99 pointsettia deal. I found the same deal at Lowe's and got the last three. The pointsettias plus our Nativity scene plus our Christmas tree are the full extent of our indoor decorations this year . . . but I think they look pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!