Friday, March 12, 2010

Frugal Fitness

Okay, I'm sure most of you have been aware of this concept since roughly the advent of home video, but I am newly discovering the awesome advantages of workout DVDs! 

I am no athlete, but this year I have really been trying to be more consistent about exercise.  I've had a lot of aches and pains since I've had babies, and I was getting tired of dealing with them.  I got into Pilates in the fall, but then in the new year - surprise - I was pregnant!  My levels of fatigue and stress this time around have made me even more motivated to keep up with some type of exercise. And it really does help!

Like I said, I am no fitness buff.  I've tried to do exercises from magazines and books in the past, but was always discouraged by trying to balance the book while figuring out exactly what the picture was indicating that I should do.  Then I was always unsure if I was doing it right.

On the other hand, joining a gym or taking regular fitness classes is prohibitively expensive for us.  I did take an eight-week Pilates class at our community center in the fall, which I really enjoyed.  But we can't afford to do that all the time.  I could try to do the exercises on my own, but I knew I would forget them, and it would be easy to cheat.

My solution - DVDs!  My friend lent me Pilates for Dummies, which I did up until a few weeks ago.  Now that I'm in the second trimester, I'm doing Pilates and Yoga Fit Pregnancy, which I got from the library. 

The DVDs are great because I can see exactly what to do.  They keep me exercising for a certain period and in a certain order, yet if I'm pressed for time I can do just 15 minutes and still get something in.  I can exercise in the comfort of my home any time, yet without having to own any equipment.  Also, with all the variety of workout DVDs out there, the workout never has to get boring. 

Fitness DVDs and video tapes are easy to find used at yard sales and thrift stores, as well as on Ebay.  Even if you buy one new at regular price, the price is nothing compared to a gym membership or class. 

Now, if I could just figure out how to keep LuLu from bouncing on my stomach during the workout . . . .


See more great frugal ideas at Frugal Fridays.

2 comments:

  1. Good tip Liz!
    Also, congrats on hitting 100 in your Followers!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love workout DVDs too! Hulu also has a few yoga and Pilates routines that are pretty good. If you buy just one or two DVDs of your own and mix it up with DVDs from the library and workouts on Hulu, you can have a lot of variety.

    I have the exact same problem with Felicity, though. If I'm on the floor she wants to sit on my lap and crawl all over me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!