Monday, April 26, 2010

Garden Update #3


Well, April has certainly flown right by, and the seeds that I planted in early March have now had some time to mature.  The seeds that we started in the basement seem to be doing well.  They all sprouted except the jalepenos that we had harvested from last year's plants.  That's not too big a deal, since I still had some purchased jalepenos seeds as well, which did come up.  All the other seeds, whether new, saved from last year, or harvested last year, germinated.

On the left here are our little cantaloupes; on the right are heirloom cherry tomatoes
The seeds in the basement do seem to me to be growing rather slowly.  They're still rather small almost two months after planting.  However, that might just be my impatience talking!  I'm assuming they'll speed up once they get outside.

I found conflicting information online about the exact last frost date for my area, so I'm playing it safe and waiting until about the second week of May.  I did plant some spinach outside this Saturday, which I actually meant to plant weeks ago.  (Spinach can be planted in the early spring.)  Oh well, this is fast-growing baby spinach, so I'm hoping to mostly harvest it before the other plants that I plant in between the rows need the space.

Also, we should have salads of the mesclun greens and radishes that I did plant in early March any day now!

How is your spring gardening or garden prep going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!