Monday, May 24, 2010

Garden Update #4

Gardening season is really now in full swing!  It's time to harvest spring crops and plant summer ones, as well as putting in flower borders and generally preparing for summer!

I'm about halfway done with my main garden planting.  My husband still needs to help me dig out an additional section of our side garden bed, and I need to plant more in the main bed as well.

We've really been eating from the garden already though!  My over-wintered mesclun greens are huge, and we can't eat them fast enough.  I'm probably going to take them out altogether when I finish the summer planting, because some of them are past their prime, but in the meantime I'm just trying to pick and eat them as fast as we can.  I also have another two rows that I planted in March that need to be picked every couple of days!  The row of radishes I planted in March are also ready, and we've eaten about 2/3 of them.

We're still getting strawberries as well, although it's really only a small handful every day or two.  Nevertheless, they taste delicious!

I'm very excited about everything I'm planting for the summer; I can't wait until July when everythings starts to ripen!



PS - For those of you interested in gardening: next weekend, Home Depot is holding a free gardening workshop.  This sounds really good.  They will cover basics like soil, composting, and rain barrels. Unfortunately, we're going to be out of town for a wedding, because otherwise I would definitely attend.  I'm still very new at this and lead to earn all I can!

Note: Home Depot is part of an advertising network for which I am an affiliate.

1 comment:

  1. Great harvest so far! We only have radishes ready, but I didn't plant until mid-April.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!