Tuesday, February 8, 2011
For really the first time since Baby Gem was born at the end of August, I actually did a freezer cooking session for the month! Well, it turned out to be two different sessions; one on a random weekday when everything happened to be relatively calm and one on Saturday.
Here's what I made:
- Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 6 bran muffins (from a mix I happened to have)
- 1 lb. black beans cooked and frozen
- 6 lbs. of baked chicken fingers
- about 12 Apple Phyllo Triangles (using up an ancient roll of phyllo dough from the freezer!)
- big pot of chili (not pictured)
- 2 batches (18 total) of Bread Machine Bagels (not pictured)
I was glad to get this much accomplished, since finding time for cooking from scratch is a lot harder these days!
However, I still don't feel like my freezer is fully stocked for the month. For one thing, we seem to eat a lot more a lot more quickly than we used to, between a hungry breastfeeding Mommy and growing kids. It seems like we've already eaten a decent amount of this stuff! Also I think that since I can no longer find the time to spend one entire day cooking and have to spread it out into smaller sessions, I feel less productive.
Still, it is so helpful to have some baked goods and dinner items prepared ahead of time, even if we do eat them up in a week or two.
PS - Over at Life as Mom you can see more freezer cooking results.