Friday, March 11, 2011

Loudoun County Children's Consignment Sale

As anyone who's been reading here for a while knows, every spring and fall I look forward to volunteering and shopping at a local children's consignment sale.  Today I get to share with you the specifics of that sale where I have gotten so many great bargains!

Catholic Consignments is holding their bi-annual sale on Saturday March 19th at 8am at St. Theresa's School in Ashburn VA. The sale is focused on children's items with gently used clothing (infant through young teen), toys, layette, strollers, large equipment, furniture, books, videos and maternity items. With so many things there its best to arrive early (or to buy one of the early entrance passes) - or, to come later and pick things up at the half price sale at noon. To see pictures of the sale, or find out more information about consigning, shopping or volunteering, please see their site at http://www.catholicconsignments.org/.

This really is a great sale; it's the largest in Loudoun County, certainly.  I always find so much at this one that I've rarely even try to shop other area sales.  To list just a few of the great bargains I've gotten over the past 4 years . . . Step 2 toddler roller coaster for $7; ballet and tap shoes for under $5/pair, an Eddie Bauer rocking bassinet for $30, a Joovy Caboose stroller for about $50 (retail $149), tons of name brand and even boutique clothing for pennies on the dollar (brands like Gymbo, Janie and Jack, Hanna Andersson, Laura Ashley, etc.) . . . the list goes on.  Basically, I am able to find 85% of what my children need for each season by shopping one day at this sale.

One of the things I love about consignment sales is that they're a win for everyone - consigners make a little extra money from cleaning out their homes, shoppers snag great bargains, and the organization putting on the sale makes money as well.  In the case of Catholic Consignments, all the money made goes to helping the less fortunate in the local community.

In terms of helping the community, Catholic Consignments has raised over $45,000 from their last three sales to fund St. Theresa's Divine Mercy Outreach program. All of these funds help our neighbors, identified by social services, right in our community and are used to help them get a fresh start. As an example, the funds have been used to provide beds; furniture for 23 families, help cover utilities for 25 families, and make rent payments for 27 families.

My tips for shopping this sale?  If you're shopping the regular sale (opens at 8:00), get there before 7:00 to get a number.  Then you can go get breakfast and come back.  Otherwise, wait until about 9:30, to avoid the long line.  There's also the half price sale and the Dollar Dash - less selection, but even better bargains.  And there's usually a good amount left for the half price sales, especially clothing.

I'm volunteering for two shifts this year, so I get to shop at 6:30 - whoo hoo!  (I always feel a little crazy going out to shop when it's still dark, until I get there and meet up with all the other ladies.;-)  Let me know if you'll be at Catholic Consignments next Saturday, and I just might see you there!

Note: I wrote this post as part of my volunteer commitment to Catholic Consignments, which allows me to shop early.  I was not compensated in any other way, and the opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I'm going to try to attend! :) Maybe I will see you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!