Friday, October 2, 2009

Homemade Fruit Syrup


Two nights ago I made breakfast for dinner (an easy, frugal dinner when you don't know what to make!).  However, I only had a few drops of pancake syrup left to go with the waffles.  I had some fresh strawberries, but not enough to just make cooked fruit as a topping.

I have been wanting to try this homemade "maple" syrup recipe, but I didn't have any maple flavoring.  So I decided to make a fruit-flavored syrup, thinking of something like they serve on that tray of syrups at IHOP (except without the artificial flavors.)  Basically, I just made a simple syrup of approximately equal amounts of sugar and water and sliced a few fresh strawberries into it.  Then I cooked it on the stove until the strawberries had mostly cooked down and it was slightly thickened. 


Of course, this syrup was probably not the healthiest ever, but no doubt it was better for us than the store-bought product.  (I love pure maple syrup, and used to buy it, but after the price shot up the past year it just wasn't in our budget.) 

My husband enjoyed the homeade syrup, and it saved us the time and money of his having to stop at the store after work!

Check out more frugal tips at Frugal Fridays!

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to try this. I love the fruit syrups but the last two store bought ones I tried had that corn syrup taste. And was overly sweet...at least making your own you can control the ingredients. No HFCS or corn syrup. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!