Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring, Spring

My latest article for Galtime was just published: Affordable Spring Family Fun.  In it, I share a few ideas for enjoying this lovely season without spending a lot of money.  You can even make money, by cleaning out and holding a yard sale or selling on Ebay!

In addition, I thought I would share our other frugal spring plans and projects that we're working on right now.

 - Gardening - I shared some of the things that we're doing to our start our garden here and here.  One of the things I am excited about this year is that I've planted some spring crops, which should be ready to harvest in a few weeks.  This should really increase the total output of our garden, and we won't have to wait until July for fresh produce.

 - Planning summer projects - Last year, the girls and I visited my parents in North Carolina for two weeks, while Michael stayed here due to work.  He used the in-between weekend to do a home improvement project: building shelves in our basement.  We plan to do something similar again this summer, so we're working on planning a frugal but useful project.  One of the ways that we're able to do this is by having some wonderful family and friends in the area who are willing to help with projects like this, and we in turn help them. 

 - Summer treats - Our temperatures actually got up to the '90's a couple of days this week!  Luckily, I had saved the juice from some canned fruit in my fridge, so I poured it into my popsicle molds.  A few hours later, the girls were enjoying popsicles on the deck (for free)!  Another favorite warm-weather treat I am looking forward to is pasta salad.  I use whatever pasta I've gotten on sale, and any assortment of veggies.  Add some homemade or great-coupon-deal Italian dressing and a protein (chicken, tuna, white beans, cheese), and you're set for lunch or a light dinner.

 - Planning for baby - Since this is our third child, we don't need a whole lot of gear for the baby.  (Although we'll need clothes if it turns out to be a boy!!!)  However, I have several items on my need/wish list.  I plan to spend the summer looking for these items at yard sales, on Craigslist, and on sale.  By planning ahead of time, I will save hundreds of dollars over making a trip to BabysRus when the baby's born!

What are some of the things you are working on or enjoying this spring?

Check out more great frugal ideas at Frugal Fridays on Life as Mom and Mrs. Moneysaver.


Photo by moderska.

1 comment:

  1. Lol! I thought I didn't really "need" anything for my 3rd baby. But so far the things we have gotten include a minivan, a bunk bed (for the other 2 to clear out the crib) and a dishwasher :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!