Friday, May 7, 2010

Saving Money on Greeting Cards

Yesterday I rushed to the store to buy my Mother's Day cards, and I was practically fighting people for them!  I know I've heard that Mother's Day is one of, if not the biggest, greeting card holiday.  I mailed 7 cards yesterday afternoon, and at regular stores prices of around $2.50 and up, that could quickly add up to a lot of money!  However, you don't have to stick to Hallmark to find nice greeting cards to give and send.  Here are some ways to save money on cards:

"Budget" lines of cards - Many stores are exapnding their selections of $.99 or even $.50 cards.  I guess they realize that not everyone can blow $3.59 for every family birthday card.  These budget cards may be harder to find for holidays like Mother's Day, but they are easy to find for events like birthdays and baby showers.

Card collections - Many stores, such as Sam's and Costco, Michaels, and Target from time to time carry boxed collections of 20 or 50 greeting cards.  This could be a really good option if you send a lot of cards; I've seen collections that work out to considerably less than $1.00 per card.  However, it's probably good to get an idea of what types of cards are included first, as the cards will probably tend toward the adult and generic.

Dollar Store cards - The dollar store is my top source for greeting cards.  Mine has a whole double rack of cards for $.50 each.  They are perfectly nice, regular greeting cards, too; no one need know that they're from the dollar store!

Making your own - If you're creative, it can be fun and meaningful to make your own cards.  Of course, the cost of homemade could very widely, depending on if you buy materials or not.  However, I bet most people have enough paper and craft items around the house to easily make some simple, cute cards.  And if you have kids, their handiwork is always popular.  There is also the option of printing cards on the computer.  The cost of greeting card software could easily pay off over time.

E-cards - No, they're not the same as a physical card, but if you're really short on money and time, they're much nicer than nothing.  Many sites, such as American Greetings and Hallmark, charge a small fee to access all their cards (which could be worth it if that is your way to sending cards.)  A good free site is 123Greetings.

I think that people appreciate your taking the time to think of them, whether the message is sent by email or snail mail, and whatever the cards looks like!

How do you save on greeting cards?  Please share!

Check out Frugal Fridays on Life as Mom and Mrs. Moneysaver.

6 comments:

  1. I definitely think these are great ideas. For Mother's and Father's Day, I always get cards from church (which are free!) and although there is a small donation for the masses that are said, it is definitely worth it to me, as part of the gift, to have a novena of masses said for their intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff here! I like getting cards from Family Dollar too. They are $1 a piece and have a great selection of kids birthday ones and even some funny adult ones!

    :)

    Stop by and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way back in the day when I had plenty of time on my hands, at the beginning of each month, I would take a list to the Dollar General and buy all of the $.50 cards I needed. I NEVER missed a birthday or anniversary.

    Now? Well, I'm lucky to shoot off an email. But, I do have a fascination with handwritten cards and letters. I basically started making my own. It doesn't take much creativity. Even something as simple as a piece (or half) of cardstock folded in two with a copy of an old photo on the front will bring tears to many. Then, write a few words of your own inside. Even a simple "I'm thinking of you today" is better than someone else's poem. It's a great way to let people know you care w/o breaking the bank. Stopping by from Life as Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently got a job as a Hallmark rep for our local PX (Army Post Exchange) It was a job I can do while the kiddos are in school, and my first job in 10 years. You would not even believe how many cards we sold for mothers day! I would guess around 3000? There is also 2 days left! Its funny that I got the job because I am more of a make a card person, and cannot see spending money on something that will end up in the trash. In my mind cards are great for children, who usually look for money in them and mom displays them for a week and then tosses them. That being said, I am very thankful that we do get cards from family because we live overseas in Germany, and its nice to be remembered ;) I do think cards are overpriced....and working "behind the scenes" I realize it produces so much TRASH! Thanks for providing some great tips for thrifty ideas. This mothers day we are making a youtube video for Mothers Day, something that will fit for grandmas, friends, sisters and all the other woman in our lives. Something that is personal, sweet, and wont end up in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit on two of my most common sources -- the Dollar Tree, or DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of times Shutterfly or Snapfish will have promotions around holidays right now Shutterfly has 3 cards for .99 cents shipped! - enter CARDS4GRAD but you can make any type of card. I made three fathers day cards for my husband, father and FIL - saved a bunch of money and the cards have pictures of my kids which is much more thoughtful anyway... did the same thing for Mother's Day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!